Today, were going to focus on Korean rice cookers. Germans are known for engineering prowess and French for luxury fashion. But, when it comes to rice cookers, the Japanese and Koreans dominate the market, making the best models available.
- Best Cuckoo Rice Cooker (Value and Affordability)
- Cuckoo’s Most Advanced Rice Cooker (Best-of-the-Best)
- Top High-End Cuckoo Pressure Cooker
- Best Cuckoo Rice Cooker on a Budget
We already reviewed the best Japanese rice cookers so let’s focus on the best Korean rice cookers available from the highly regarded Korean brand Cuckoo.
Cuckoo rice cookers consistently cook perfect batches of rice every single time, and require little to no supervision. No matter which model you decide on, you’ll be getting a quality rice maker when buying a Cuckoo.
Here are our top picks.
Best Overall Korean Rice Cooker
Cuckoo Rice Cooker & Warmer – 6-Cup (CR-0655F)
This is one hard-to-beat rice cooker. The Cuckoo CR-0655F is a 6-cup rice cooker (12-cups cooked) and warmer that is packed with features. It boasts 16 different cooking programs and is recommended for cooking white rice, brown rice, sushi rice, Gaba rice, Porridge and more.
Even at it’s low price-point, it still has features like fuzzy logic, a non-stick Teflon coating, keep-warm mode, delayed start and automatic steam cleaning. When cooking rice, the fuzzy logic is sophisticated enough to allow very specific softness and glutinosity.
Cooking modes include Glutinous (white rice), Mixed Rice, Brown Gaba, Porridge, Steam, Baby Food, Multi Cook and Warm/Reheat.
The only possible shortcoming we can think of is if you don’t like the color as it’s only available in the red/white combination shown. We think it looks sharp, but taste is subjective as far as counter-top appliances go.
- Unique 11 Menu Options: Enjoy popular menu options such as white (glutinous) rice, brown rice and porridge as well as versatile options such as steam and multi cook
- Ideal 6 Cup Capacity: The 6-cup (12 cups cooked) rice cooker provides the perfect serving amount for small gatherings or small to medium sized families
- Smart Micom Rice Cooker: Enjoy effortless cooking as the smart cooking algorithm is designed to automatically cook delicious rice every time!
- Customized Rice Cooking: Whether you enjoy sticky rice, soft rice, sweet rice, or savory rice, My Mode allows you to take control of your cooking with the 16 unique rice flavor and texture options
- Clean & Fresh: Keep your rice cooker clean and your rice tasting fresh with the removable nonstick inner pot, detachable inner lid, auto clean function, and excess water drainage dish
Cuckoo’s Most Advanced Rice Cooker (Best-of-the-Best)
Cuckoo Multi-function, Programmable Induction Korean Rice Cooker – 6-Cup (CRP-JHSR0609F)
If you’re looking for Cuckoo’s current top-of-the-line rice cooker, this is it. Available in a 6-cup (shown) and 10-cup model, it has become a favorite in the Korean and U.S. market. Not only does it does an excellent job cooking rice, it is packed with features.
The most technologically advanced Cuckoo model includes:
- Mechanical on/off switch
- Fuzzy logic
- Voice control in English, Korean and Chinese
- Smart Intelligent cooking algorithm
- 14 Cook Functions: Nutritious Rice, Glutinous Rice, Brown Rice, Mixed Rice, Sushi Rice, Germinated Brown Rice (GABA), High Heat Nutritious Rice, High Heat Brown Rice, High Heat Mixed Rice, High Heat Glutinous Rice, Multi-Cook, Turbo Glutinous Rice, Chicken Soup, Porridge, Nutritious Porridge, Nu Rung Ji, Yogurt, Baby Food, Cheese
- Auto Steam Clean
- Turbo, Steam, GABA, Multi Cook and personalized (My Mode) Modes
- Includes Rice Scoop, Measuring Cup and Steam Plate
- Scratch Resistant, non-stick (Xwall) stainless steel inner bowl
- Preset Timer & Clock
- Abnormal pressure detection
- LCD display with slide control
- Direct-touch menu
- Xwall non-stick coating
- Stainless steel inner-pot
- One-touch cover release
- Low and High atmospheric pressure modes
- Automatic Power Saving
- Efficient and Intelligent: Fully programmable, complete with a white LCD display 14- cooking functions, it’s your personal kitchen assistant. With voice navigation for Korean, English and Chinese.
- Faster, Smarter Cooking: Hassle-free cooking is simple with fuzzy logic and the intelligent cooking algorithm it detects grain type, temperature and cook time. Abnormal Pressure Detection Sensor ensures your rice cooker is performing at its optimal level.
- Professional Quality: X-wall stainless steel inner bowl brings optimal temperature and heat distribution throughout your food. Non-stick non-scratch surface and easy one touch cover lid release button allows for an easy clean up.
- Safety First: We went the extra mile to ensure our electric rice cooker is as safe as it is easy to use! With automatic steam and pressure emission, a lid locking device, auto temperature control and an alarm for overheating, we put your safety first.
- Trusted Brand: With 40 years of experience Cuckoo has perfected the art of cooking rice. Join the Cuckoo community and enjoy your perfectly cooked rice, prepared in no time in your streamlined, stylish rice cooker that will compliment any kitchen.
BEST High-End CUCKOO Pressure Cooker & Warmer
Cuckoo Electric Heating Pressure Cooker & Warmer – 10-Cup (CRP-P1009SB)
This is a Korean-made rice cooker with a 10 cup capacity which is more than enough to feed a family of 4. And, it’s also a pressure cooker and warmer.
The pressure cooker has a keep warm setting for up to 24 hours, and will preserve the texture and flavor of the rice making it perfect for leftovers, or perhaps lunch the next day.
We’ve noted how some cookers are better for making brown rice than others, due to its notoriously tougher grain. This Cuckoo model had no issue consistently making flavorful and moist brown rice.
Another stand-out feature is its ability to be voice-controlled in English, Korean and Chinese.
It has a sleek design that reflects its powerful features. Most notably, it offers both induction cooking as well as pressure cooking. You get two machines in one and your options for meals are greatly expanded with this versatile cooker.
For those who aren’t price sensitive and that are looking for beyond-rice versatility, the CRP-P1009SB is the perfect choice.
- KOREAN MADE ELECTRIC PRESSURE RICE COOKER: Developed by the finest of experts, the heating plate pressure technology is specially designed to cook exceptionally delicious rice with improved cooking times.
- UNIQUE 12 MENU OPTIONS: Use this pressure rice cooker for brown rice, white rice, GABA rice, porridge, mixed rice, & more!
- LARGE 10 CUP CAPACITY: The 10-cup (20 cups cooked) rice cooker provides the perfect serving amount for larger families
- FULL STAINLESS-STEEL INNER POT: The durable inner pot is scratch-proof, non-stick & non-toxic as its curve shaped body provides optimal heat distribution.
- SMART-COOKING PRESSURE RICE COOKER: This smart rice cooker includes a smart cooking algorithm designed to automatically cook perfect rice each time.
Best Cuckoo Budget Rice Cooker
Cuckoo Korean Rice Cooker – 3-Cup (CR-0631F)
We already selected the Cuckoo Rice Cooker as being one of the best rice cookers available. Cuckoo is the most popular brand in South Korea and this may be the rice cooker that gives you the most bang for your buck.
Cuckoo and Zojirushi offer really high end rice cookers, like the Cuckoo CRP-P1009SB, that cater to the most demanding consumers in their market, but some of us don’t want to spend hundreds of dollars on a rice cooker.
Well if you still want a Korean manufactured rice cooker that is packed with featues without breaking the bank, the CR-0631 is for you.
Cuckoo is the best selling rice cooker brand in South Korea. And for good reason. Their most popular model the Cuckoo CR-0631 is a highly rated cooker that makes the best brown rice of all the rice cookers. And it makes both brown and white rice about 10 minutes faster than the Zojirushi cookers.
Design: This is a pressurized cooker (hence the 20 minute cooking time) with a sleek and cute pink and white design with voice navigation buttons on the front of the display.
It has a nonstick inner coating aluminum pot that should make cleaning a breeze and the pot has a flat bottom with curved sides to ensure even cooking all around.
Capacity: It has a relatively small capacity of only 3 cups (uncooked, 6 cups cooked) rice so this will only be suitable for couples or infrequent rice eaters.
Downside: It’s not foolproof so you have to measure the rice to water appropriately but so long as you do, it can make any type of rice. The downside of course is that it cannot be used to do anything other than make rice.
Bottom line: Still, this a popular choice among rice cookers because it offers great performance at around $100, making it an Amazon’s choice.
- UNIQUE 10 MENU OPTIONS: Enjoy popular menu options such as white (glutinous) rice, mixed/brown rice and porridge as well as versatile options such as steam and slow cook
- IDEAL 6 CUP CAPACITY: The 6-cup (12 cups cooked) rice cooker provides the perfect serving amount for small gatherings or small to medium sized families
- SMART MICOM RICE COOKER: Enjoy effortless cooking as the smart cooking algorithm is designed to automatically cook delicious rice every time
- CUSTOMIZED RICE COOKING: Whether you enjoy sticky rice, soft rice, sweet rice, or savory rice, My Mode allows you to take control of your cooking with the 16 unique rice flavor and texture options
- CLEAN & FRESH: Keep your rice cooker clean and your rice tasting fresh with the removable nonstick inner pot, detachable inner lid, auto clean function, and excess water drainage dish
Leading Korean commercial, restaurant and consumer rice cooker manufacturer Cuckoo Electronics Company sells their products in the United States by way of P&K USA Trading Corp. Founded in 1978, Cuckoo is a premium consumer brand in Korea which has amassed over 70% of the Korean rice cooker market in the past 14 years.
In recent years Cuckoo has expanded from rice cookers to offer more household appliances and consumer products, specifically in the kitchen, living and healthcare markets. Beyond functional, Cuckoo prides themselves on making rice cookers that are as attractive to look at as the food the cook is to eat.
Choosing a Rice Cooker
Buying a new rice cooker can be a bit of a confusing activity. Rice cookers have evolved from being simple, heat-plate driven equipment to versatile microchip-driven devices that you can actually program before you load the rice grains.
Finding the right rice cooker for your needs requires a bit of foreknowledge to ensure that you will get the best value for your money.
Three are 3 top factors that you should take into consideration before buying a rice cooker online or from a brick-and-mortar store:
Factor # 1: Cooker Size and Rice Capacity
Are you cooking for yourself or for your whole family? How much rice do you regularly consume in a day? These are just some of the questions you can ask yourself when selecting the right capacity for your new rice cooker.
Rice cookers come in a variety of capacities; some can handle 1-2 cups of rice while others are behemoth cookers that can handle up to 12 cups of rice at a time. It would be best to select a capacity that is slightly higher than your usual consumption so you can cook extra rice when you have company.
Avoid buying ultra-capacity rice cookers as these machines consume the same amount of electricity even if you are just cooking 1 or 2 cups of uncooked grains.
You will end up spending more because larger capacity rice cookers are equipped with much larger heating elements that require more electricity to function normally.
Factor # 2: Product and Brand Reputation
Advanced cooking features and a high capacity wouldn’t be of much use if your rice cooker decides to “retire” after five months. To be sure, every rice cooker we’re reviewed is from a reputable brand and offers a solid warranty. That said, you may be tempted to buy a $15 generic rice cooker. Pay a little more and get something that will last.
A durable rice cooker should be able to faithfully serve your kitchen for years, not months. The reliable method of ascertaining the durability of devices such as rice cookers is by checking the feedback rating of consumers online.
Be sure to read feedback that pertains to the rice cooker’s general hardiness in the kitchen.
It is quite common for dedicated online buyers to give reviews months after they’ve purchased an item to give other consumers a glimpse as to how a particular brand performs once it is brought home to be used regularly.
We also advise people to purchase rice cookers that are manufactured with stainless steel and not painted metal as these are better suited in hot and humid kitchens. Stainless steel rice cookers are also aesthetically superior to “spray-painted” rice cookers with colorful designs.
Factor #3: Features
Modern rice cookers are now more versatile and sophisticated than their older counterparts. Check your rice cooker if it offers an ideal set of features that will allow you to cook a variety of rice types (not just white rice or brown rice).
It would also be ideal to check if the rice cooker has been designed with fuzzy logic technology, which allows the user to set pre-programmed instructions before cooking rice.
Fuzzy logic technology is now a staple feature in mid to high end rice cookers because it’s convenient and it allows the user to control not only the cooking temperature but the texture of the cooked rice.